the top had to be done from two pieces that can be easily disassembled as it had to pass through narrow staircase and also probably be moved around quite a bit. the thought of waving around 60kg beech top was not really appealing, so i decided at least for now to use DF and have it in two pieces.
for finish i used an effect i found out while trying to bleach the base. I mixed tung oil with oxide powder, about 1:1 and rubbed it into the 80 grit sanded DF. the oxide settled into the scratches and the soft parts and created a very pretty effect. i thought i would continue and finish it with 4 more layers of tung oil but its getting cold here and each layer takes about a week to dry. so, i slapped two layers of blond shellac on top, and finished with 3 layers of waterborne poly. couldnt use oil based poly as too cold. while the waterborne was drying i had the heating going. very pleased with the result. it looks rough but actually very smooth.
thats how the finish look from about 1m:
the two parts of the top where joined with office furniture desktop connectors:
and here are some picture of the finished product:
-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...