LumberJocks

Trestle dining table #5: Putting on finish and assembling the base

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by moshel posted 567 days ago 746 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: attaching the beam to the verticlas Part 5 of Trestle dining table series Part 6: The finished and assembled base »

after lots of considerations and tests, i decided to use diluted white acrylic (10 water to one acrylic but your mileage may vary as acrylics are very different one from the other). I brushed it on and wiped it off. the result at first looked like nothing happened but as it dried out it became nicely white.

this is how it looks compared to a piece of the same material:

and a closeup :

the process is very fool proof and easy. just beware of drips… in retrospect i should have drilled the holes after putting on the finish. its very hard not to have drips when you have a hole…

after the acrylic dried i sanded it down a bit with 320 grit and started the tedious process of finishing.

i used waterborne poly (Resene – a local firm) as i wanted to keep the white colour. i was pleasantly surprised – putting it on left no brush marks, it dried very quickly and left very professional looking finish. I could probably put all 4 layers in one day but it got very dry and hot and it was not the perfect weather for waterborne poly.

after finishing everything it was time for the final assembly.

i have created proper spacers for the beam so it can go in with friction. marked the middle and marked the middle on all horizontals
also made spacers so the verticals will be positioned in the middle of the verticals. this is how it looks just before the screwing:

I have pre-drilled counterbores for the screws. these are 3” roofing screws. i like them very much – they are self drilling and have very coarse thread so hold very well to endgrain. they also have very wide hex head so no need for washers.

here are the supports fully assembled:

I have used wooden hex nuts from some bits ane pieces of exotic timber i had – something from the philippines i think. finished them with tung oil.

last part will be just pictures of the assembled base

-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...



2 comments so far

View DocSavage45's profile

DocSavage45

4903 posts in 1475 days


#1 posted 566 days ago

3rd picture looks like a nice shim to keep it in line? Wood choicesreally match the overall objective. Thanks for the tutorials!

-- Cau Haus Designs, Thomas J. Tieffenbacher

View moshel's profile

moshel

864 posts in 2316 days


#2 posted 566 days ago

third picture shows that legs just before putting the screws in. there are 4 spacers/shims: 2 pine blocks between the verticals to keep them properly spaced and two more under the verticals to position them in the middle of the horizontals

-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase