I have to apologize for not taking pictures while building it – thought about it only later. there are some photos of the end of this stage at the bottom of the page.
So, I looked at my timber rack and found that the only reasonably sound “beam” I had is 3×4. However, it was a wonderfully dense heart Rimu. So, I denailed it (hard work – its from recycled buildings and taking out these 3 3/4” nails out of it is really hard) milled it to just under 3×3 and started experimenting with making the round parts. I started with cutting on the bandsaw Rimu arcs that would “complete” the square to circle. this did not work well. the parts were too thin and splitted the minute any force was applied to them.
So, plan B. I cut circles of 1” oak on the bandsaw, marked the square on them and then cut the inner square (extending the lines) so I got two L shaped pieces that when joined together makes a circle with an empty square in its middle. hukked them in place with 2” screws – I hope this will hold…
Next – the ribs. denailed, milled and cut some more Rimu to 2X2, made a template for the arc, maked and cut the arcs on the bandsaw. attached it in place using 2” screws again – this should hold as the forces on the ribs actually hold it together.
I have also denailed milled and bandsaw the supports for the collars, but didn’t take pictures – beefy pieces of 8×2 heart Rimu – they take most of the load so should be strong.
Last thing for today – I am worried about the thickness of the pole, so I am beefing it up with some oak. I have just glued it in place so will continue tomorrow to drill the holes for the handles and add some bolts to prevent the pole from splitting from the force.
Here is what I ended with today:
-- The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep...