Hello again friends and thanks for following. In this installment I prep each of the panels (Head bard and Food Board) for glue up.
I’ve done a lot of work since my last blog but progress has been a little slow.
Before I glued up the panels I tested my dye/poly finish to make sure that pine and birch ply would look ok together. And it looks ok to me. Gives me that splotchy pine look my wife likes so much. ;-)
Then on to prep the panels for glue up. This consisted of planing an angle on the top of each of the panel rails. And when I’m trying to remove big ol’ ribbons of wood fast, I like to use my old wooden fore plane.
After I smooth it out with the #4 and a little sanding you end up with this.
A couple of tenons were a little lose so I glued on some shims and then trimmed them up with the shoulder plane and the #71.
A final smoothing of all the surfaces.
Knock of the edges.
And then the glue up. Each one of these took me the evening to prep and glue up.
Right now I’m working on these 1/4” decorative styles I’m adding to the panels.
I’m ripping them on the band saw then smoothing the faces at the bench. Widdle’s bench dogs in action here!
Then I true up one end on the shooting board.
Mark the width against the panel.
Saw to width.
Then shoot to get a nice fit.
The shooting board/bench hook combo I made is really working out well. Its nice and light and easy to flip back and forth for each sawing/shooting operation.
Next I made a story stick to help with alignment.
Then glued and pin nailed them in place and here we are.
One down and three to go.
Edit: Here are all 4 panels done!
After this I need to make the ladder and the guard rail.
Thanks for watching folks, questions and comments are welcome.
-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch