Ok folks we have some momentum going here and have made some real progress lately. We’re getting close to the end.
So the idea is, flatten the top, glue and bolt on the tool tray, then plane to tray to be coplanar with the top.
First I chamfer the dog holes, I do this again after flattening. I figure I want to avoid spelching when planning the top by chamfering them beforehand. I’m not ashamed to say I used a routah (Norm accent)
Patched a couple of holes from when this top was a table.
Flatten the top with winding sticks, Stanley’s #5, #5 1/2, and #7
Next to glue up the tool tray. I dry fit it and then knocked off one end at a time, applied glue and knocked it back on. I used liquid hide glue (Old Brown) for the extra open time. I’m not sure if I needed it but it is comforting to not be in such a hurry.
Here is some creative clamping. I don’t have pipe clamps long enough so I used two cabinet clamps bridged in the middle by an F clamp.
Also the DT on the left side was very sloppy so it need some extra clamping to close it all up. Since I’m clamping on a slight angle I used some non-slip drawer liner to keep the clamps from slipping.
Oh and the draw bore pin came in handy for lining up the holes so I could get the bolts in.
Pretty gappy on this side.
The other side (the first one cut) was much better. You would think it would be the other way around. This one took a lot of paring to get it to fit so I got more aggressive on the second one trying to get it to fit right off the saw but that didnt work out.
This is the good side. Only one little plug.
So after the glue was dry, I flushed up the end grain with the Krenov smoother and the #4.
Sawed out the gap to make the patches straight and make the lines more uniform.
Inserted some patches. LOL!
Here is the after pic.
You got to love that about woodworking. Almost any error can be fixed.
Next I put my straight edge across the bench and marked of where I needed to knock down the tool tray to make it coplanar.
#5 & #7 for this job.
So after easing some edges and bolting the wagon vise back on. I also flushed up the wagon block with the top.
THE BENCH IS DONE. That is except for the oil varnish mix. I’m waiting for it to get a little warmer before I do that to make sure it cures right. Won’t be long I’m sure. I also will be applying leather to the vises.
So here it is folks, pretty much ready for action. I also just picked up some Veritas brass dogs.
I may do a video showing how the screw parallel guide works, I’ve never done a video so I’m not sure.
I’m stoked but can’t wait to put on the finish and get the final blog done.
Looking forward to put this thing to work.
Thank you guys for watching and for all your encouragement and advise along the way.
It’s been great sharing the journey with you guys.
-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch