Hello again folks. Here I am in the home stretch. I say that but I know there are still a bunch of details left.
I decided to go with drawbored Mortise and Tenons with no glue. The splayed legs on this bench make it incredibly stable as is so it’s not necessary at all. I also won’t have to worry about glue not curing well in the cold weather. The idea of not watching the clock during glue up is pretty nice to, especially on an assembly his size.
The hole stress free thing is true in theory any way.
This assembly was pretty damn stressful since it was my first time drawboring anything. You’ll see the issues as we go through the pictures.
I think you are all aware of my venture into making drawbore pins.
So now that those are done I needed to smooth all surfaces and edges.
Then drill out the holes in the mortises.
Transfer the holes to the tenons with a little offset. This was one of the nerve wracking parts because I was really unsure of how much offset to use in oak. I ended up using around 3/32 or so I guess. Once I got a sense for it I just went by eye.
When I tested the fit on my fist couple (with only 1/16” offset) there was almost no offset and it wasn’t pulling the joint tight.
So I used a tip I saw on a Peter Follansbee blog. I glued dowels back into the hole then predrilled them with more offset.
Pretty easy and I only had to do that on 3 of the holes.
I had to adjust the fit on one or two shoulders that weren’t closing up tight on the outside face. The drawbore pin helps for checking these fits.
The #92 was the tool of choice for cleaning up the shoulders.
Next I cut some oak pegs.
Then whittled a point on the end of each.
So without further ado lets start driving some pegs. I’m almost shat myself on this part because I didn’t know what to expect. I just stopped thinking about and started pounding them in.
I was afraid my offset might be too much. Maybe the pegs wouldn’t go in? Maybe they would break off in the middle of pounding them in? I didn’t know.
I did read one tip about rubbing wax on the pegs to ease their navigation through the hole, so that’s what I did.
And I’m glad I did. Here goes the first one!
Went in perfectly!
I went through all the joints for the stretchers first. Besides some stray hammer blows (I’ll have to steam the dents out) everything went swimmingly.
But of course nothing ever goes perfectly right?. Here is my first and only FAIL.
Kind of looks like a surprised face ;-0
The peg broke off before I could drive the last inch in. So it did get all the way through the tenon and about 1/2” into the back wall of the mortise before it broke
Also, I guess this is the best place for this kind of failure because it will be covered up by leather for the vise chop.
So here is the assembled core of the bench. Or the wet dog as Roy Underhill called it.
It’s amazing how the pegs hold everything together. Its Rock Friggin’ Solid. Just an incredible bit of ancient technology. There is no give in the joints at all. I’m pretty excited!
Flatten the top again
Chamfer dog holes
Glue and bolt on the tool tray (that will be tricky)
Final small details (removing dents and such)
So I’m almost done!
Comments and questions are always welcome.
Thanks for the watching and for all the encouragement!
-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch