Here is my latest progress. This blog is too damn long, I need to remember to do these more often and break them up. Sorry about that.
Mostly pictures though. Questions and Comments are welcome!
THE WELL BACK:
Trying to “Steam Bend” the tool well back straight. Notice the dowle I used to get the clamp as far out of the way as possible.
Hit it with the heat gun
Got it straight enough to joint one side and run through the planner without losing too much thickness
This process did work ok, unfortunately I didn’t measure the before and after for a fair comparison.
Flattened one side of the well back with the scrub, #5, and #7 before running the other side through the planner
Grooving the end caps. I’ve got a #45 on the way for future grooves. For now I got creative with the bench and hold fasts. I love me some holdfasts! So versatile.
I tried making a shallow rebate on the back on the Tails to make a tighter joint with the tails. The 78 wasn’t the best tool for the job. as you can see the fence extends beyond the sole of the plane and is not held firmly letting it pivot despite the set screw. The knicker chewed up my base line. Oh well. We’ll have to make a dust riser for that corner to hide the mistake.
I tried using the 71 to true things up, it helped some but its going to be kind of ugly. I’m not too worried, after doing a few dovetails you’ll realize there are lots of tricks for hiding your mistakes.
Next I cut the tails. I’m using the bench already for everything! I love it.
This is my first time using the “Chop and Chip” method of waste clean out.
Worked out pretty well!
Transferring the tails to the pin board was very challenging because the pin board is 6’ long. I had to lay both pieces on their side which made alignment and marking tough. No pic of that.
!WARNING: HAIRY LEGS IN CROCS TO FOLLOW!
Cutting the pins on he saw bench
Lots of test fitting and testing to get them to fit.
This is the good side, the other side is looser and sloppier and will need some patching.
THE WELL BOTTOM:
Smoothing the poplar board for my well bottom
Jointing an edge, the holdfasts and deadman already coming in quite handy
Rebating the bottom of the well bottom
The 78 was set for a thick cut for speed and the 92 came in for fine tuning.
I dont have a pic but I use axle keys I get cheap from ACE hardware to gauge the thickness of the tongue left from the rebate.
I fit the board in the well. Cut out recesses to fit around the legs. I’ll be hiding the fit with some quarter round molding later.
And here is where we leave off.
A #7 lays in there nicely and clear the top.
It almost clears the top sitting upright but not quite.
Another angle of the well
That’s it for now folks. Next I tackle the Wooden Screw (again) and the leg vise.
Thanks for watching!
-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch