Hello LJ Buddies,
Here is my most recent progress. I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.
I previously milled the grove on the underside of the bench.
I cut a rabet 3/4” in from the front and glued on a 3/4” tenon.
This was cut by hand. First had to perfect the fit.
Laid out the design with a wax pencil.
Bandsawed the curve then cleaned up with a spokeshave.
After drilling the holes and cleaned the Jatoba with Acetone and glued on the tenon and bottom piece with TBIII
To keep the tenon as long as possible and still be able to slip it into the groove I came with this idea, chamfering the back corner of the tenon. It works pretty well.
I cut one side of the V on the table saw but because the block on this end is not the same thickness as the other, the deadman wont sit flat to cut both sides so I cut the other side with a hand saw.
Then cleaned up the cut with my #92, it works well but it is a knuckle buster, I cut myself about 3 times on this step. Not on the plane of course but on the sharp edges of the work piece.
For the rail I used my #5 and #7 to joint one face and edge of a board and then ripped it off on the table saw.
And here is how it looks with the bottom rail temporarily in place.
I cut the rail to make a little door for removing the deadman. Screwed them down.
Left a neat little gap at the top. Just trial and error, no logic on how much room I left.
And here is where we leave off.
Thanks again to BrandonW for giving me the Jatoba. I’ve put it to good use.
As always thanks for watching!
-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch