Hello again friends,
I’m made a lot more progress since my last post so I will break it up into a couple of posts.
These are pretty straight forward, I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.
Deadman: BrandonW gave me this piece of Jatoba when we first met, Thanks again Brandon! I decided to use it for my deadman. Here I’m using the Paul Sellers trick for a makeshift end vise, it works ok but I cant wait to have a wagon vise.
Very dense wood but it planes pretty nicely.
Here is the design I think I’m going with. I’m going to finish it after assembly, just wanted to pane it down to see what kind of dimensions I’m working with before routing the groove in the bench top.
I went with a 1” deep groove, 3/4” wide. I think I’m going to have the V” slider/rail either stop 6” short of the left leg for deadman removal or maybe a short rail piece I can screw in place and remove whenever I want to remove the deadman. I’m still working out the details in my head.
Here I’m using my makeshift wooden block router edge guide, I have since purchased a Bosch edge guide which is a nice upgrade.
Next, I cut the legs to length. I was pretty nervous about this, since the back legs are splayed, I couldnt simple cut them to equal lengths. So what I did was shim the legs to have the front legs plum and the top level. And scribe a line from the floor with dividers. This was tricky because the garage floor is not level. So Once I took the bench apart I just went with the longest distance on each leg, A also erred on the side of making the front legs equal length, same on the back legs. Fortunately it worked out, after cutting them the bench was nice and level and the front legs plum.
The height worked out perfectly and there is now wobble at all in the base. I also love the height. I ended up at around 33.5”. I literally could not get more height out the legs because of the back leg splay, it causes you to lose a lot of height. I’m 6’2” so it made me nervous to have it so low. But this is the height of Schwarz’ bench and he is 2” taller than me which was reassuring.
The height works and is nice for planning, It really lets you get your weight over the plane, you just lean on it and it goes!
Next for the Holdfast holes: I love these things! I’ve been using them a lot already, you’ll see in future pictures how I’ve used them for making other bench components.
Then to drill out are the holes for the wooden screws for the vise and parallel guide. The front legs were pretty straight forward, 1.5” for the screw (threads to be tapped later) and 2 1/8” for the parallel guide. It was slow going on my cheap little drill press, these are big holes.
But probably the hairiest part is the angled whole I need for clearance in the back leg. I marked off the location on both sides of the leg so I could meet in the middle as close as possible.
The two holes met in the middle, off by only about 1/8” which was easily chiseled smooth with a gouge and rasp.
This picture shows how the screw will pass through the back leg.
So here is where we leave off:
Actually that pic doesnt have the holdfast holes in the top but you get the idea.
I’ve finished my end caps and wagon vise. I’ll post that blog when I get more time.
Thanks for watching and thanks for your support!
-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch