I think most of you have seen a lot of these pics on other thread but I’ll post them here for the Blog with more detail.
As you know last time I tried to carve my screw by hand, it worked but was slow going. So I built the router jig but have been having trouble dialing it in perfectly.
Here is the router jig I made. As you can see its a loose fit which is why I got a lot of chipping in the tips of the thread, I was cutting to deep.
This is what happened when I fed my hand carved screw in. Sadly it was ruined….
Better results when I started from scratch but still not acceptable. The screw works but it’s not pretty.
So I ruined the dowels I had purchased so instead of buying more I bought an old lathe and learned how to turn a little. Here is some practice on some fire wood.
The first go through the router got jammed, not deep enough:
So I cut that little piece off, tweaked the router and tried again. With success!!!
Still a little chipping thought but not bad.
Except for one hiccup. Doh!!!
The hub hit the router base.
I have been working more on this little piece of my workbench odyssey. I’ve rebuilt the router jig with a little more attention to detail, bought some hard maple, and just cut out my blanks and glued on extra wood for the hubs last night. Once I turn them I’ll be ready to make another go at the threads with the new router jig. Hopefully with no chipping. I’ll update you guys on that for the next blog. Hopefully with great success.
I need to get this done and finish building my bench!!!
I’ve been enthralled with the idea of making my own screws for a long time now and very excited to be seeing a lot of light at the end of the tunnel!!
Thanks for watching and thanks for your support!
-- Mauricio - Woodstock, GA - "Confusion is the Womb of Learning, with utter conviction being it's Tomb" Prof. T.O. Nitsch