This evening I finished up the mitre rails by counter-sinking 3 @ 3/4” screws into them from the bottom, making sure they were not protruding so they don’t scrape my mitre slots.
After that, I ripped a strip of walnut into two long pieces about 30” long and 1 1/4” wide. These will be used for the 45 degree fence. Since I want to be able to run stop blocks on the fence, I put a t-slot down the middle on the router table. The t-slot bit I purchased only cuts the wide part of the T, so I had to cut the channel that the shaft of the t-bolt runs down with a 1/4” straight bit prior to cutting the wide T part. I cut the channel in 3 separate passes down to the depth I wanted and then made a final 4th pass with the t-slot bit. Once that was done I made a 45 degree cut using the mitre gauge that came with my table saw on each fence piece so that the fence can be positioned correctly. (this cut doesn’t need to be dead on, as long as we align the fence properly later)
With the fence pieces all set, I used a couple of squares to layout the fence in the general location I want it. This doesn’t need to be dead on yet, as I’m not mounting it at this stage, but I do want to know generally where it is going to go. So I laid it out and then traced the outside edge.
With that guideline in place, I marked off where my pocket-holes screws are and then drew layout lines for the t-slots that my hold-downs t-bolts will slide into.
(sorry, that’s a pretty terrible picture, the lines are really tough to see, if you click through you can see them a bit better in the larger version).
Tomorrow I’ll (hopefully) get the t-slots cut for the hold-downs and probably cut the stop blocks while I can still use the fence pieces to set my table saw blade height since they won’t be mounted onto the sled yet.