After the drawer was finished, I put together the cleats for the drawer to run on and also the cleats to attach the top. I keep forgetting to cut a dado on my apron pieces so I can try to attach the top with little wood clips instead. I’ll have to try that next time I make a table. The top for my nightstand is made up a few pieces of pine edge glued together, just like my poplar nightstand. I actually saved the top pieces from my chest of drawers—I had messed up those drawer fronts pretty badly but I salvaged the better pieces and glued them up to make a panel.
I used my router and a 1/4” spiral bit to cut my breadboard edges, and fitted them nice and easy. It only took a little sanding to even up everything, and that got attached with very little incident. I then took some time to sand up everything nice and smooth.
I was thinking about the finish I wanted to use for this. A while back, I had picked up some water soluble dye powder. I used the pilgrim maple color for my chest of drawers and I was very happy with how it came out. I had also purchased a bottle of cherry rosewood dye, and I was trying to find a good reason to use it. I decided this piece would be a nice way to test it out. I first coated the entire piece with glue sizing that I made from from regular Elmer’s Glue-All diluted with water. I brushed on a couple of coats of that and let it dry overnight.
Today, I got to work on actually dyeing the piece. I had mixed up a batch of the dye to test it out on some samples a while back, and that dye was still good to use, so I got the piece dyed up and now it’s drying. I have a pretty good system worked out to apply some wipe-on finish that I make using poly, mineral spirits, and BLO. I’ll put that on over the weekend and hopefully get this into my room soon after that.