Pine Nightstand #1: Small mistakes and recovery

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by mitchota posted 03-22-2014 04:32 AM 974 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Pine Nightstand series Part 2: Base and Drawer Construction »

A while back (like 6 months ago), I was building a chest of drawers for my fiancee’s Japanese dance clothes. I ran into some problems with the pine boards I got being VERY cupped and I wasted a few good pieces trying to make the the drawer fronts. I saved a few of the straighter pieces and made a glue-up for a nightstand I was going to make for myself. It turns out that work and life caught up with me so my table saw and woodworking tools went into hibernation for the winter. But, it’s spring now and I can get back to work!

I picked up some pine from the Orange Borg and decided that I needed to face my demons and learn how to deal with not-so-good material. I’ve gotten very good at seeing twist and warping in the boards and I’m learning how to cut around those areas so I can get pretty straight and flat pieces with minimal headache. I found my old plan for the poplar nightstand I made last year, and so I got to work.

I did the glue up for the legs and all that just fine. I was actually rolling along and was cutting mortises when I realized that I had cut one of my small mortises too long. I was looking at the wrong guide line I drew to show me the ends of the router bit and accidentally over-cut the mortise. Luckily I was only on my first pass so I only had a small 1/4” deep thing to patch up. I cut a small piece of pine and glued it into place. I then finished everything up and cut all my sides and made all the tenons.

I’m at the dry fit stage right now and I’m actually taking a quick breather so that I can gather my thoughts on how I’m going to do the glue up. Last time I burned almost every clamp I had and I’m trying to avoid that this time. I helped myself my cutting my tenons just a hair looser so that I don’t have to jam everything closed with my clamps. Everything does fit together nicely, so I think this will be a good and easy process.

It’s raining here on Maui so not only do I get to deal with the weather, but also the fact that I’m sure this pine that I’m using is reacting strongly as well. I better get this all together tonight. Last time I waited and it almost cost me some good components.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics