I finished up the top yesterday. The top panel is made out of a piece of plywood with pine edging. I cut a groove into the edge of the plywood and a tongue on the edging so I’d have more gluing area and a more positive fit without having to use brads.. I’m terrible at fitting miters, but I got it together pretty well. I’m very careful to make sure that I cut the panel good and square, so it could have been a lot worse. I clamped it up and let it sit overnight.
I unclamped the top this morning and did some sanding to even up the joints and then routed a 3/8” roundover with bead to give the top a nice profile. I screwed it down to the top of the case, and that pretty much took care of the woodworking.
I have to fill all the brad holes and do final sanding to prep for finish. I got some aniline dye that I’m going to try on this project, so I’m probably going to give the whole thing a quick spritz with water to raise the grain so I can knock it down before adding the dye. I kind of want to try some kind of blotch control on this, so I was thinking of glue sizing before laying down the dye. My samples came up pretty good without major blotching, but obviously a small sample piece of wood might not give me the true picture of what I’m working with on a larger area.
We’ll see where the finishing process leaves me. I should have this ready to put into my room in a few days, so either way, I’ll have at the very least a very useful piece of furniture. At the best, I’ll have what I think is a great looking piece of furniture in my room.