LumberJocks

Chest of Drawers #3: Mistake Recovery, and getting to the end

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by mitchota posted 09-06-2013 04:07 AM 839 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Still can't make drawers to save my life Part 3 of Chest of Drawers series Part 4: Final assembly. On to final sanding and finishing. »

After my fiasco with the first set of drawer fronts, I took the time to recollect myself and got them put together the right way with the replacement wood I bought. Thanks to everyone who gave me the advice about purchasing a planer in my previous entry—it is definitely the next thing up for me on the “to buy” list once I finish this project. I got all the drawers assembled last night and it really started to look like a dresser.

This morning I got to work on the base. I was going to do a curved base, but I liked the angled look better and started cutting wood. I got pretty much everything cut out and sanded very easily. I learned very quick that the tension in the wood can really mess with its shape. The long part of the base was a bowed a bit when I was measuring everything out and so I had to take some measures to make sure it was nice and flat when I made my cuts. When I went to make the cutout to create the feet, I used my jigsaw and when I unclamped the piece, it was actually very flat to the table. The part I had cut out was obviously holding a fair amount of tension and cutting it off the board allowed it to sit nice and flat after that. I remeasured to make sure nothing significant changed, and then put together the base. I glued and screwed the base on, and added some braces to the back legs. This was my one chance to use my Kreg jig on this project. I try to avoid using pocket screws except for places where they’re not going to be noticed.

The only thing I have left to do from a woodworking perspective is to size up, finish, and attach the top. I’m sure I can get that done today and then I’ll have that finished up. Then it’s a lot of sanding, attaching the knobs, and then getting the finish on.

This has been my first experience with dealing with mistakes that really cost me some extra money. All my previous errors I was able to fix using scrap stock I had on hand. This time I actually had to go out and buy some new wood. It’s definitely a learning experience. But now my fiancee will have a nice dresser to put her Japanese dance things in.



1 comment so far

View CudaDude's profile

CudaDude

122 posts in 1054 days


#1 posted 09-06-2013 03:03 PM

Lookin great. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

-- Gary

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase