Assembly of the table went without a major hitch. I then decided to start working on the finish. As I decided to stain this back when I started the project, I tested out three colors of stain, and after looking at it, I went with the cherry stain. I’m not sure what it is about the color of cherry that I like so much, but it was a hard sell vs. the mahogany stain I tested as well.
Staining up the table wasn’t too bad, but of course I found all the spots that I didn’t sand quite enough and I also found out where I had missed some glue squeeze out. Luckily the parts are small and not really noticeable. One is on a back leg of the table, so it’ll be facing the wall and I don’t think the wall cares about it.
I’m currently in the middle of getting the finish on, which is a 1:1 mix of Minwax satin polyurethane and mineral spirits so I can wipe it on. I’m thoroughly pleased with how the thinned poly wipes on, and it really does save me a lot of trouble and time. I’m sure that I can get this done in the next day or two.
I have to say that the Rustoleum Ultimate Wood Stains work really well, and I love the colors they come in. I don’t exactly buy the 1 hour dry time, but I do like how it performs. I’m sure that I’ll use it on my future projects.