I think I can honestly say the end is in sight for my router table. I didn’t do much woodworking today, but I was able to cut out my drawer fronts and get everything attached. Since I’m still in the middle of renovating my room, I’m working on finishing up the painting in there too. While I am glad that my projects are coming along, I’d really love for things to be finished up.
For some reason, I’m a really big fan of the frameless look. I don’t know if it’s because I feel like I’m not good enough to make a good face frame, or if I’m just too lazy to buy the extra stock and make a face frame. After I worked out my drawer fronts, I gave them a quick chamfer and then set to work getting them attached.
This time through attaching my drawer fronts was a lot less painful than when I made my shop cabinet. Being that this was the second time I’ve laid out and attached drawers, I think a lot of what I remember I screwed up on last time came back and served to remind me to be more careful.
I cut the holes in the side to mount my switch and run my wiring, and then I just have to wait for my t-bolts and stuff to come from Rockler so I can put together my fence and then I can attach the top to the carcase. Since I know it will take a couple of days before my Rockler order comes in, it gives me a couple of days to work on putting a finish on the cabinet. I already finished the top and I really liked the look, so I hope that I can get the carcase. I’ll be using Minwax Cherry stain and the Rustoleum Ultimate polyurethane. I thought the look was great when I did the edging on the top, so I’ll try to duplicate the look as best I can.
The router table was a good build, and it took me a lot less time than my shop cabinets. I think the mistakes I made with that first set of cabinets provided me with a lot of procedural things to remember, and it definitely made this build faster, easier, and better overall. I’m still learning a lot every time I fire up my tools and make something.