LumberJocks

Dewalt RAS Restoration

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by milbert updated 601 days ago 4 parts 12049 reads 13 comments total

Part 1: Planning my new saw!

1239 days ago by milbert | 4 comments »

I have been inspired by web findings on Lumberjocks and elsewhere to restore a Dewalt Radial Arm Saw (GS). Currently, I don’t have a real wood shop because I am in college and all of my woodworking was done at home (in my dads workshop). Although I do have the necessities, as far as tools go, I don’t have the right tool-set for woodworking. So fixing up this old saw is the closest to woodworking I can get. It also gives me a chance to ignore homework! This saw is in great worki...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Base Finished!

1227 days ago by milbert | 4 comments »

I decided to tackle everything in sections because I have limited space and can’t have everything spread out all of the time. So the first thing I tackled was the base. Everything was disassembled. Rust remover was used on the legs and base. After this a wire wheel cleaned everything up and I was back to bare metal. Everything was primed with Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer which prevents rusting, then painted with Rustoleum Smoke Grey. Originally the plan was to replace all the bolt...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Motor and Motor Carriage

1211 days ago by milbert | 3 comments »

Continuing to work up the saw I got the next big chunk of work done, the motor and the motor carriage. I followed pretty much the same process I used while doing the base. Like I said before, this saw is in great working shape and had been used daily by the gentleman that had it before. I both the motor bearings and track bearings had already been replaced. They were in good shape so all I needed to do was give them a thorough cleaning. I also hand painted the embossed DeWalt logo ‘k...

Read this entry »


Part 4: New Tabletop: Final Pictures

601 days ago by milbert | 2 comments »

This has been done for quite a long time, I am not sure why I have never updated the blog but I wanted to post the final product! I made the tabletop according to the Mr. Sawdust book and I must say that I am extremely happy with it. The top is a couple of pieces of plywood glued together with 3/4” steel bars on edge for re-enforcement. I transferred the bolt holes from the old table. The top layer is 1/4 hardboard. This will be easily replaceable if it gets too beat up. I spent a...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase