I’m back in the shop after some time out to visit my wife’s village for a funeral. The cabinet for my workshop has been fully assembled, a stain and finish applied and my planer / thicknesser has been mounted.
The jointer cabinet is mounted on 4 small castors and seems very stable in use. I had some problems fixing the top onto the cabinet and mounting the jointer. I hadn’t really thought about access for fixing the top when I put the fixed shelf in place and there really wasn’t enough room to get a drill or screwdriver in there. When it came to mounting the jointer I could only get 3 bolts in place, my lack of a drill press led to some inaccurate holes for the mounting bolts. The angle in the photo makes it look a bit tippy but I haven’t noticed any problems so far.
I am also making a door for the cabinet, my first attempt at door making. I forgot to check reality when cutting the styles, the final door is only just big enough to cover the opening in the face frame. When I resized my design I made a small mistake in SketchUp and carried that onto the final build, lesson learnt. The stub tenons for the door are not as nice as I would like. I cut them with my new table saw and got distracted by the blade not cutting a flat bottomed groove. In my attempts to smooth out the bottom I cut a bit deeper and wider than required. To give the joints a bit more security I drilled a hole through each joint and drove a dowel through to peg them into place.