The salon footstool project is nearing completion, I am just waiting for the finish to cure for the recommended 72 hours before I deliver the footstools and finally trash the pink plastic items these will replace.
I made stool 4 and 5 as the same as number 3 using a through mortice and tenon for the stretcher. My practise attempts at wedging the tenon were not very successful so I decided to leave that for another project. These stools will be used for resting the feet rather than standing on so I think they will be strong enough, they survived me jumping on them no problems. Making the last 2 stools at the same time certainly saved a lot of time setting up the router etc.
I’m happy with how these came out for my first project, the joints are not perfect but are pretty tight fitting and overall the footstools seem sturdy, comfortable and will hopefully last a long time. Unfortunately my camera and lens are pretty good and I can’t hide the gaps or tools marks in my photos :-) I fitted some anti skid adhesive pads to the feet which work very well. They stop the stool sliding on tiles and also have the nice side effect of helping to overcome the inevitably uneven floors found here in Thailand.
I’m unsure at the moment what my next project will be. It’s a choice between starting on a couple of stools for sitting, some small boxes or some simple shop storage. My lack of a jointer / planner and table saw is starting to frustrate me a little. I don’t have the skills to straighten and flatten timber by hand and even the planed rubber wood boards I used developed some twist which made getting things square difficult. I think it may be time to track down a table saw, budget and space restrictions may mean that it will be a bench top model but that would be better than nothing.