I got a bit of shop time this week and have finished my first project! One footstool is completed, only 4 more to go.
I plugged the screw holes using 3/8” dowel, or at least dowel that was sold as 3/8”, each plug required quite a bit of sanding before it would fit in a 3/8” hole. I have since ordered a tapered plug cutter and will have to try and figure out a way of using it without a drill press to cut my own plugs for the next stool.
I finished the stool with a golden teak stain to give it a bit of colour and followed that with 2 coats of a gloss poly varnish from Chemglaze. The varnish is sold as being suitable for floors so hopefully it can stand up to the punishment these stools will get, our salon is quite busy most days. I found that the stain didn’t penetrate into the wood very well, I think I may have over sanded before staining and I forgot to clean the wood first. A combination of sweat and glue probably stopped the stain from working as well as it could have.
I’m very happy with the finished stool for my first project. I made some mistakes but I still have all my fingers, didn’t waste too much wood, had fun and have a piece of furniture we can use.
I have cut the wood for the next stool, my next step is to square it all up and prepare a plywood template for cutting the arches in the legs. I think I want to try using a flush trim bit in the router with the template to clean the arch after rough cutting with the jigsaw. It’s a good excuse to buy another router bit!