LumberJocks

yet another shop vacuum cart

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by metolius posted 04-17-2017 10:39 PM 462 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch

ShopNotes No. 109 has a shop vacuum station with a dust deputy that I have long marked to give a try.

Having a mini cv06 clearvue on a 30 gallon drum attached to a hugely barrelled shopvac/blower required a few changes. As the cyclone tower is a over a meter in height, I wanted to also lift up the vacuum to make a short hose run to the cyclone. This provided space to put a drawer under neath the vaccum.

I also wanted a way to conveniently separate the drum from the cyclone for emptying. There are many examples of different configurations I found to do this with a magnetic lifts of the top, or a leveraged lift of the drum, etc. While ho-humming on how to go about it, I had made a collar that fits around the cv06 to see how it would behave as a lift. It had a hole 6 inches in diameter, with a 5/8 hole every 30 deg around the edge for the bolts to nest into.

What I found is that half of a collar holds the cv06 really well with the bolts locked into the 5/8 holes. Using this, I chose to make a stack of 2 half collars. The lower one locks the cv06 into position while in use; this also prevents a tug from the hose from tipping it over. The upper collar is about 3 inches higher and holds the cv06 up when it is detached from the drum.

This photo is with the cv06 lifted off the drum.

This photo are all the bits holding the cv06 and the drum. Shop vacuum extension wands insert into the corners for storage.

The centrifugal action brings more fun for the cleanup help.

It started with 3 inch casters which were soon replace with HF 4 inch casters. At its heart, I’d say the cart is still 90% of the shopnotes version. Outside of the hardware, it is 100% reclaimed from “free scrap” craigslist postings. The joints are dadoes, glue, and screw with the screws replaced by miller dowels after the glue set.

Overall its a bit beastly and larger then I anticipated. The foot print is 2’x4’, The oil stain is watco walnut. I think the darker color makes it look larger. The dark stain was initially chosen to blend in the mix of homestore and luan plywood used.

It is muchly much better to tote around than pushing/dragging/lifting components around the shop.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com