I am such a rookie that I never even wanted a band saw. Hubby kept bugging me because he had fond High School memories of one. BUT…when I stated seeing the band saw boxes on the projects site I was hooked and he bought me one.
So after some exploring we bought the G0555P and it arrived at our house. All 210 lbs of it!!! Actually the directions for putting it together were really good and other than having to ask a friend over to help with the heavy head it was pretty easy. Friend also had experience with it and helped us get the blade set and ready to use. I tried it out and he left.
That’s when the trouble began, of course. At first it was really scary and that didn’t help. Hubby was able to make a passable start on a box!!!! And he isn’t even the woodworker.
The blade moved side ways, it got stuck in the wood, it made funny noises, I couldn’t make it turn. Hubby bailed at that point. LOL So I went and bought a better blade than the one that came with it. Well that didn’t work. Eventually the problem was that I couldn’t get the blade to center no matter what! Back to the owners manual.
Okay I have had this thing for two weeks now and I can’t figure out how to use it. Well it turns out that one of the little knobby thingies that I was using to adjust the blade tension also adjusted the sideways adjustment of the wheel. My blade would not center!!!!!! So blades were NOT coplaner and I finally figured out why. Couldn’t they have put on a big red warning ”Don’t mess with this one once saw is working!!!”
Okay three weeks later, the blade will center, I can sort of get a straight cut, and I can sort of get a curved cut, and after SEVERAL tries I have made a passable band saw box (in projects).
1. I need to do a better job of glueing the layers together. Not fun when you are half way through a box and a layer splits off.
2. Make sure you label front and back!
3. Pay more attention to what the wood grain looks like in the layers.
4. Darn, I need a spindle sander for the inside stuff! Double darn, I can’t afford one.
5. Hand sanding can be fun. I can actually hear the movie that is playing on the tv.
6. I am going to need to learn how to carve so I can shape these boxes…
7. Learning never stops and you never have enough tools
Have a great woodworking day.
-- curious woodworker