LumberJocks

Tell us your funny story

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by mcoyfrog posted 2040 days ago 697 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

Ok so i was reading a blog or project here can’t remember which, but it reminded me of a funny thing that happened years ago in my shop. Maybe some of you could chime in on one or two of your mishaps in the shop.

So i had this old router table that i had made and the cross members for the legs had holes drilled in them to hold all my router bits. Nice and easy access for quick changes, well i never expected what the hazards could be until it happened…...

At the time i had a very cramped shop, having to share with my wife and her stained glass shop plus we had lots of other things stored in there. I was sanded down some cutting boards that i was making for a craft show i was going to be working soon. I dropped something off the table (pencil, sandpaper, can’t remember what) when i bent down to pick it up my right cheek experienced mass pain. When i say right cheek i mean the one that you sit on not the one on your face. It was summer so i had shorts on instead of a more protective jeans (lesson learned). Well as i’m sure you have guessed the router table had been behind me and one of the bits that was in the cross member sliced a good 6” long cut in my cheek. There was blood running down my leg like Niagara falls. After the initial shock from the blood went away and the reality set in and my wife and daughter couldn’t stop laughing and my misfortune. There was all sorts of sayings for me the next couple weeks since i couldn’t hardly sit down. I had cut my self a new crack, don’t let the door hit you where the good lord split you kinda had a different meaning.

Anyway hope this makes someones day, and please have a laugh about it thats what life is all about..

talk to you all soon..

Doug

-- Wood and Glass they kick (well you know) Have a great day - Dug



4 comments so far

View oldskoolmodder's profile

oldskoolmodder

760 posts in 2180 days


#1 posted 2040 days ago

While I have had a mishap lately, it wasn’t really funny. I wish I had a funny mishap story to tell, but having got gotten out SOME of the stitches in my healing thumb. I was informed that it could take 6 months or longer before I am able to use it properly. 6 months to a woodworker, is a lifetime of missed money and projects/jobs.

We all need to be careful, no matter how long we’ve been at it, because it only takes one second or less, to have that mishap happen.

-- Respect your shop tools and they will respect you - Ric

View SCOTSMAN's profile

SCOTSMAN

5012 posts in 2085 days


#2 posted 2040 days ago

A cut in the backside can be very dangerous and not at all a laughing matter their are some big arteries there.Alistair

-- excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

View HokieMojo's profile

HokieMojo

2094 posts in 2228 days


#3 posted 2040 days ago

Well, I had a friend get caught on a hook on the wall, he reached down to pick up a rather heavy tool and half way back up, his belt loop caught the hook. He tried to set it back down but it was caught pretty good. He was stuck in limbo for a few while another friend of mine and I enjoyed a laugh. The materials he was lifting were kinda heavy though so we did help him out. Not that great of a story, but unfortunately it is my best.

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

2527 posts in 2457 days


#4 posted 2040 days ago

Back in the early 80’s I worked as a cable TV installer. I was doing an install in a house one day, and the lady of the house was quite attractive, and it was an early AM appointment so she was dressed, lets say …in something you wouldn’t go out of the house wearing. I had just drilled a hole in the floor behind the tv to run the wire up from the basement, and of course I was busy chatting with the customer and not really paying attention to what I was doing. I was using a Makita corded drill, with a 10’ extension cord I would keep on it at all times. Well, I drilled the hole and then proceeded to start winding the cord up and since I was busy chatting up Mrs. hardly dressed I didn’t notice that as I reached the end of the cord the heavy duty plug came whipping around and cranked me right in the most sensitive of areas. As all you guys know, it doesn’t take much of a smack in that area to cause intense pain. I doubled over in incredible pain, but at the same time trying to still look cool and play it off like I wasn’t about to cough my shoes up through my mouth! I staggered out of the house with my drill in my hand and went out to my truck and actually had to lay down in the back of my van the pain was so intense. I went back in to finish the install, and although the lady was nice about it, she had this half smirk on her face the whole rest of the time I was there. I’m sure she got lots of laughs telling that story to her family and friends!

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase