The legs were cut from bookmatched slabs shown in post #1.
The first step was cutting the pattern out of the blanks.
With the legs cut, I marked the inside portion that needed to be removed:
Next, I added an adder block for the seat joint. Unfortunately, I didnt get a shot of the initial glue up of the adder block. Since, the legs splay out at 6 degrees from the seat, the adder block needed to be cut at 6 degrees relative to the leg itself. To do this I made a 6 degree jig:
With the adder block in place and cut at 6 degrees, it was finally time to lay out the maloof joint. With the legs splayed at 6 degrees, I needed an 84 degree square to lay out the joint:
Cutting the joint was nerve racking. If I cut the joint too big, the entire leg would end up as firewood…. ok maybe not, but it would certainly be a tedious fix.
Now, I round over the edge of the joint so it can be fit into the seat:
I used my shoulder plane and a bit of sandpaper to make minute adjustments to the joint until it fit just right:
My first Maloof Joint!
Ok, now things get a bit interesting. The edges of the leg are cut at 20 degrees to form the transition from the leg into the headrest, and also to present a smooth edge to the sitter on the inside of the leg. If you look closely in the picture, you can see the 20 degree layout lines on the top of the leg. I actually dont remember how I made hte cut on the other edge. My bandsaw table doesn’t tilt that far to the left. I must have flipped the leg over 180 degrees.
Now to cut the excess adder block around the seat joint:
And finally, round the entire leg over with a 3/4” radius roundover bit (nerve racking!)
The only thing left to do was use the spindle sander to clean up around the seat and arm joints…
Since I dont have a picture of the finished back legs alone, you get a sneak peak of the front legs as well:
-- Marshall - http://mcomisar.tumblr.com