It’s been a long time since I made a blog post. I’ve been taking photos throughout the process, but I havent had a chance to update the blog. So here goes:
The last post left off with the seat carved out and sanded to 80 grit. The next step was to shape the curve on the front with my trusty spokeshave (its not that trusty. I’m not good with hand tools, but I’m learning).
Hal recommended sanding the seat at this point all the way to 1000 grit (abralon pads). It was cool to see the result, but next time, I’ll wait to do that amount of sanding. It was a ton of work, and I ended up ruining the surface later on in the build and had to redo it anyway.
Here is a photo of the seat after being sanded to 1000 and rubbed with mineral spirits:
Next, the curve along the back was cut and the edge rounded over on the router.
And finally the curved shape along the edges was cut on the bandsaw resulting in:
Here is a time-lapse video of the carving process:
-- Marshall - http://mcomisar.tumblr.com