I’ve made some progress on the kitchen table in the last few days. I started filling the knots and cracks in the top with epoxy. This is a messy job, and its a pain to get all of the bubbles out. I’m starting with the bottom side to perfect the technique. I burned the epoxy in one place where I held the torch too long trying to get the bubbles out. That just made a ton more bubbles that wouldnt come out.
I also practiced making butterfly inlays on some scrap wood. This turned out to be easier than I thought with a template and inlay kit for the router.
Finally, I laid out the pieces for the base and got them all cut out.
This weekend, I’ll finish shaping the base pieces and work on the bridle joints. I hope to have all the epoxy done and cured so I can take the top back to my friends cabinet shop for final flattening.
-- Marshall - http://mcomisar.tumblr.com