So I managed to get the nut off the end of the old cutter head finally… I realized that my bench vise isn’t here and had to improvise a bit. Thankfully I had a pipe wrench handy and I wasn’t terribly concerned about mucking up the old head so I held it on the ground with the pipe wrench and used a pipe on the end of a ratchet to get the needed leverage.
Thinking I was home free I grabbed the pulley off… put it on the helical head… grabbed the nut that had given me so much trouble… and 1 turn in it bound up on the new head. I’m too tired today to mess with it but it almost looks like they got the thread pitch wrong on the Accu-head cutterhead. I checked a few times and it won’t go back about a half turn once the thread catches. Lovely. So tomorrow I guess I have to take a closer look and see what the heck I’m going to do about it. I’m about 99% sure I wasn’t crossthreading it because I tried it a few times so I’m a little less than pleased. That’s something that should be pretty easy to get right you’d think.