I spent 2 hours today trying to bang out the bearings on the old cutter head… What should have been a relatively easy install resulted in me having to nearly tear apart the entire planer so that I could get a punch to the far side of the head and start beating the crap out of the bearing.
The good news is that finally the bearing started to move and I was able to remove the old cutter head. The bad news is that I sheered off the locking mechanism trying to remove the bolt that holds the pulley on before I took the head out. So now I’ve got the cutter head out and apparently whoever put the bolt on the end of it was going for extra credit that day. I’m sure the 40-50 degrees outside wasn’t helping so I’m going to hit it with some PB blast and let it warm up before I figure out my next move.