Making three end tables. modeling the tables after this hall table.
Using cherry, wenge and ebony. Selected the cherry. Got the legs roughed to size and the joints laid out.
Purchased 9 bf of wenge ($17/bf ouch!) Glued the cherry to the wenge for the top. Love the black streaks in the cherry.
Took the glued-up panels to my summer home where I have a Felder CF741 combo machine. It has a 16” planer/jointer. My panels are about 14” wide and this was the easiest way to make the faces flat and parallel. It’s really the first time I’ve used the machine and I love it. When I had the panels flat and parallel, I squared the edges on the sliding table. It has a 12” Forest Woodworker II blade on it. I’ve never used a machine that cuts so effortlessly, accurately, and leaves a pristine cross-cut edge.
I tried several methods of making the breadboard ends. I ended up making a big mortise in the cherry ends and fitting it over the cherry/wenge.
The ends were curved and square holes were drilled for pegs that will be installed later. One floating tenon was used in the center of the breadboard and glued with Epoxy. The ends of the panel were haunched to fit the mortise. It may be pre-mature but I put a coat of watco on the panel after sanding to 400. I like the look of wenge and cherry together.
Haven’t updated the blog in a while. Been making a bedroom door in the weekends and working on the endtables during the week. Made progress on the stretchers. I used 5 min epoxy to hold the ends together. I put dowels in some of them but decided to try the epoxy without dowels. I can’t break them apart with my hands. we’ll see how they hold up. It will be easy to retrofit them if necessary.
I’ve been working on the tables on and off for quite a while. Had a few setbacks. after I got the bases dry fit I sat the completed tops on and I didn’t like the proportions. The tops overpowered the base. I’m making new tops now. I’ll make some tv trays out of the other tops.
I have a mortising machine to make the square holes for pegs. I sat the project down after making the holes for one of the tables and accidentally assembled all the tables without making the square holes. I had to cut them in by hand – about 30 of them.
The bases are done except for a final sand touch up. The tops are started.
Another setback. I glued the cherry sides to the wenge top. Surfaced the top and sanded it. We had a lot of rain and the top cupped badly. I tried clamping them to take the cup out but it didn’t work. I ended up ripping them in half and gluing them up. It worked out fine.
Finally finished the tops and got them attached. Made the square pegs and installed them. Applied 4 coats of minwax gloss wipe on poly. This project took me at least 15 times longer than I thought it would but I’m happy with the outcome.
-- Sorry the reply is so long. I didn't have time to write a short reply.