LumberJocks

Oak Workbench

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by MattD updated 2498 days ago 5 parts 8844 reads 25 comments total

Part 1: Getting Started

2519 days ago by MattD | 2 comments »

I think it’s time for a new workbench. The old fold up table works ok for some things, but it’s not great for holding work flat and it’s too low. I got a ton of short 6/4 white oak boards from a local woodworker a few weeks ago. Since then, I have been stuck with the idea of making them into a workbench top and got a start on it today. The main features I’m planning are: 24” x 60” 2 1/2” Thick Front and End vise Round Dog holes 37...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Glue Up

2515 days ago by MattD | 5 comments »

The bench is moving along pretty good. Using all these short pieces has to be one of the harder ways to build a bench. I’ve used almost 1/2 gallon of glue so far. I faced up the best grain and the variations are interesting to me. So far, I’ve made up 4 six inch wide sections and jointed 3 sides on each of them. Here I am gluing up 2 of those sections into a 12” wide section that I will run through my 12.5” planer. Then I’ll glue those 12” sections toget...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Adding cherry strips

2510 days ago by MattD | 6 comments »

I think it’s finally resembling something similar to a bench top. I squared off the sides of the top and routed out a space for some 1” cherry strips. Lots of scraping and sanding left to do. I’m starting to look at some different hardware options. I’m fairly settled on a basic front and end vise, but I’m not sure what to get. Looking at some old columbian and record vises or even some wood screw vises (Which seem to be hard to find.) Here are the inlaid...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Starting the Base

2506 days ago by MattD | 2 comments »

In part 4 of this workbench adventure, I’ve added some ash strips to the sides with oak pegs and planed them down flat to the benchtop. The ash is from an old tree I took down in my mother’s back yard and it’s been drying since early spring. It’s the first time I’ve used any of it and it was fun to plane it down and see how it finally turned out.I designed a base within the limits of two 12 foot 2×12s. I looked around a few local yards, but found some fairly...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Finishing the Base

2498 days ago by MattD | 10 comments »

The base is completed. This is way beyond the weekend project I planned. Now I’m thinking about a finish for the base. I originally planned on painting it a solid color with an exterior oil paint, but the douglass fir looks good to me (my wife thinks so too), so I might just do a BLO/turp finish on that also. The base was made from two 2×12x12 douglass fir. For the legs, I face glued three 2”x5”x35” boards together leaving space in the middle section to crea...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase