I have completed the bench, I still don’t know if I will install the veritas twin screw vise or install a wood hook, making it a holtzapffel – roubo hybrid. So I will wait for now and start using the bench as is
the drawbore mortise went pretty well, No broken peg out of 12 joints (24 pegs!). I was glad to have this nice peg cutter powered by a drill and socket , it went pretty fast.
All ash pegs end were whittled, then lightly sanded and then waxed. I have also marked the peg with location when it is fully in. The pegs moisture were at 10%. I sure wished they had been dryer.
The joint were tighten by clamps prior to the insertion of the peg. I used glue for the base only. No Glue for the base / top joints.
for the top mortises, I used the router with 1/2 spiral up bit , then chiseling the corners.
Holes in the side of the top were done using a guiding jig
I then finisned the top with one coat of linseed oil and beewax mix. The outer and mid sections is oak, the two sandwich sections is ash
then on to the pine shelf
I wanted to add the wagon vise but then I looked at my small record vise on my utility bench and decided to use it instead. I mortised a slot underneet the bench, Using the top side as a cheek
The top holes were done with drill and jig with 3 1/2 inch o.c. the vise chop is ash
I am overall very satisfied, specially that this was my first furniture project. I would like to thank guys like Mike, Kem and Damian who have posted blogs on their own holtzapffel project which gave me some guidelines.
Now on to another project!
Thanks for watching
-- Martin, Gatineau, Québec