LumberJocks

Stickley Library Desk #503 #1: Getting Started

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by markg11cdn posted 12-05-2016 07:05 PM 496 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of Stickley Library Desk #503 series Part 2: Panel Glue-up »

The last time I worked on a big project was 2012, when I completed my Daughter’s bunk bed. It’s made from curly maple and has a built in bookcase. Since then I took a bit of a woodworking break, did some home renovations and a bit of running and cycling.

A couple of months ago I decided it was time to get back into woodworking. I built a couple of small projects, a doorbell cover, a cribbage board and a few other small things, but that was just warming up to get ready for a new ‘big’ project.

My son is at the age where he now needs a desk of his own where he can do his homework every night. Bingo, found me new ‘big’ project. I’ve had Bob Lang’s Shop Drawings for Crafstman Furniture books for a number of years, so I picked the Stickley Library Desk #503 as the desk to build. Here’s a picture of the finished desk from a Sketchup model I found in Google Warehouse :

Step one, get the workshop cleaned up. Here’s the result :

In the background, you can see my Powermatic 719A mortiser. I picked that up in 2012, around the time I was finishing up my Daughter’s bunk bed. I didn’t use it on an actual project until earlier this year when I got back into the workshop. I bought it specifically for making some Stickley style furniture, so this desk will be my first chance to do that.

Also a number of years ago, but local wood guy decided to clear out his remaining wood and get out of the wood selling business. Among other things I picked up a couple of hundred BF of QSWO and this will be the first project I make out of it. (A lot of firsts here).

So the next step was to dig down through the pile of rough stock and run some through the planer to see what I had.

Found some nice stuff :

I got started with the legs. Made up 4 quadrilinear legs with a simple 45 degree mitre, glued and ‘clamped’ with masking tape. Let them dry over night and then a bit of sanding on the corners and I had 4 pretty good looking legs.



1 comment so far

View Rich's profile

Rich

1507 posts in 340 days


#1 posted 12-05-2016 09:15 PM

Thanks for sharing. I like how you did the legs, so the ray patterns will show on all sides. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

I noticed you use the Unifence. You don’t see much of that, since it seems like most folks went with the Biesemeyer on that saw. I opted for the Unifence as well on mine. I was generally happy with it, but stumbled across this slide on replacement for the extruded fence: http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm

I’m liking it so far. I will still put the original back on when I want to use the short side of it, but since everything uses t-slot hardware now, this is pretty convenient.

-- No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com