After many hours out in the garage, the project is complete. The test pieces with the water-based trans tint was a little purple for my taste, so I tried an alcohol-based mix. It was still purple. One of the guys down at Woodcraft informed me that black tint will almost always look purple unless you use it straight. He suggested trying an aniline dye from an art store. That stuff worked pretty good, but it wasn’t nearly as concentrated as the trans tint. I wound up using a special blend of trans tint, aniline dye, alcohol and danish oil. I finished it with about 10 coats of spray on, high gloss polyurethane. I’m pleased with the result. Now I just have to get it wired up!