I made a little progress on this project, so I wanted to post the updated photos. This has been a great learning experience. I can say that my hand planing skills are getting much better. My hope is to not sand this thing at all, but we’ll see about that after I get it assembled. Here’s the pieces after the dadoes were cut and the holes for the power and audio jacks were drilled:
And dry fitted with the plexiglass:
And I decided to go ahead and make some samples using the dye. It looks a little purple in the photos, but it’s a black dye. I’m really excited about how good the dyed finish looks on this tiger maple. The last time I worked with tiger maple, I used a danish oil finish. It looked nice, but this dye really brings out the figure.
The next part will be the final assembly and finish.