Kamusta ka Gary? Sabi ko na nga ba at may bumubulong sa iyo kung ano isusulat mo dyan. hehehe. Just the same, nagagalak ako at kahit papaano ay naipapakita mo at naipaparamdam ang pagmamalasakit mo sa mga kapwa mo LJ. Try to translate that for me without any help ;-) Just the same, I appreciate it very much. Salamat.
As for the others, I am still counting on you. A blog is supposed to be participatory. This will be a lot more informative and educational if you all can share your experiences.
The box joints for the top were probably the toughest I’ve encountered in my otherwise short woodworking bio. Never really knew if I can until I tried…
After dry fitting all the joints, glued it all up. I really don’t know if the dowel on the joints is necessary. Did it anyway. What’s your call? BTW, those bamboo chopsticks have yet to fail me and they are cheap. Perfect size (1/4”) for the kind of application I use them on, carcass construction.
I want the aprons to sit flush with the legs on both sides but I forgot to take measurements of the final width of the legs before glue up above. So I made two full notches on one side and partial notches on the other side and I also trimmed the mating part on the leg uprights….
At this stage, this is how it looked like with the top mounted on the legs…
I then laid out the lines for the dado to accept the crossmembers, routed it and squared it up with a chisel…
The crossmembers installed. I also added the feet at this stage. I used the cut-offs from the 2 X 3 crossmembers. Routed a stopped groove following the thickness of the legs. Put some glue and slipped it on…
I also drilled holes through the crossmembers (the top’s and the leg’s). 3 bolts sized 5/16” secured each leg to the top. It aint wracking no more.
It is not finished yet but already serving its purpose. This is the reason why I constructed my bench with its top plush with the legs. It is very easy to work on an edge of a large workpiece clamped to a bench like in the picture below. Here, I am trimming the edges of the plywood top to fit the rabbets…
The first layer of the plywood top glued and doweled..
I never really intended to dowel and glue the top layer but the contact cement I used to attach the second layer to the first layer failed when I applied stain on it. The plywood ends curled up. At this point, I was too lazy to take out the top layer and redo it besides there might be areas that the contact cement had not failed yet. Taking it out might damage one or more plies of the plywood. The wood filler made the top look bad. It made the gap more noticeable.
I then drilled a hole for a 3/4” pipe vise. That’s a US$2.00 forstner bit on my drill.
The pipe vise on. I will probably drill another hole on one end. Sort of an end vise. I don’t know about dog holes though. I still do not have a need for it. Time will tell….
It is already stained and varnished. Still have not taken a picture though.
I hope you enjoyed the ride…. like I did!
-- "Real jocks do it on a bench"