Scandinavian workbench restore
Side holds and end vise tuning.
This is just a small update on the bench.
I get questions if I like this bench, the simple answer is yes.
I did have a few holding issues, but after making a bench top bench, I now have every thinkable hold position and would not trade my bench for any other bench (Perhaps a Benchcrafted splittop, it’s so sexy).
This little blog is just a upgrade with some side holds I made for long boards and my saw sharpening vise, they make life more easy, since they give support and keeps my hand free while putting things on the bench.
Really simple but also really a great help.
Second I will post a series of pictures of my tuning up the end vise, if others have this type of bench I think it might be handy.
The end vise had some slack to it and that made me annoyed even it worked, so I set out to make it steady.
Here the side holds are in action, they give support under my saw vise.
You will understand better once you read the rest…
(Notice the champagne box on the floor that are now a saw till).
A piece of hardwood are cut, app ten cm or 4 inches.
I make three.
Rounded a wee.
Drilled and counter sunk.
Waxed, also the screw for easy screwing in the workbench.
Waxing the hold for slip.
Screw in place under the bench.
Here you see them sticking out, when turned.
Quick and easy, but a wonderful upgrade that I use all the time now, especially when planning boards.
END VISE TUNING:
Ok here are the end vise (before I made new handles).
The more I used it the more I wanted to tune it.
First I took it apart.
A little investigation showed old glue and paint in the side tracks, but also that they have been suffering from time so they were too wide and this was one of the reasons for the up going loosenesss.
So it was cleaned up with a old lady’s tooth (router plane).
And then trimmed with side rabbet planes.
(Lovely to be able to use some of these sweet tools).
Added a shim to the runner, now the rabbet was even wider.
To my surprise I found a crack in the spindle housing.
This explained more about the looseness.
For those wondering about the blue tape, I just glued a pice of cracked wood on the top, nothing interesting.
So glue and predrill for a screw to fix it.
Now just add a screw.
The jaw was now really out of square…
(My working created a new problem).
But that can be fixed easy.
With a hand plane.
Also correcting the other jaw, while I was there.
This is how much it was off.
Now grease up all of it, especially the moving parts.
I use a bees wax grease.
Remember the screw, here grease from my sweet old Danish grease pot.
Then just put it all together again.
Take a deserved rest and enjoy life.
Hope it can be to some inspiration or care for old benches.
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.