So in last part we got to test out the cutter principals and I can see we agree the bevel up version will be the version I go for.
Before I make the final prototype, I will like to improve my reamer, so that I will have the real setup.
The reamer I made back when I made the shaving horse, have two problems, one is that the wood are too soft, so it will tear and break, have started to show the first signs… It was a piece of a old parasol leg, so I had no idea about what is was. Now I will go for harder and stronger wood, so it will last. Second problem is that I made the reamer too steep, this means that the wedge effect is not so effective and that the joint comes too easy apart.
So time to make a new and I will show this process in this blog now.
From the sketchbook.
So once again a piece of firewood from my friend Michael are squared up, thanks.
Beech, it’s strong and dense, perfect for tools.
(Running out soon).
Find the center and almost get there…
I like to use a auto punch.
First round it, this takes no time and shaves fly, I love this part.
Here the old one, to compare.
And so I can correct the angle.
To make the taper straight, I set the tool rest to the desired angle and then use this to make sure it becomes straight. As you can see I clamped a pliers to the cutting tool, so I could run it parallel, but it is IMPORTANT that you clamp on the other side of the rest, like this it can get caught and accidents can happen, sorry I was not thinking.
Do you get the idea.
But like this on the outside of the fence PLEASE.
Now I am happy with the angle and the finish.
I sand only rough the top, so it will have grip.
The taper gets a full sanding up to 600 grid and a polish and wax too.
You see, slimmer and a wee longer.
Now I can take the blade from the old reamer.
As you can see it’s a piece of an old saw blade.
(Can also be a cheap saw from the dollar store).
I have clamped the reamer up, marked it down the center and made a fist saw cut here.
Now what we need is to fit the blade in the reamer.
The blade here are too wide in the widest end, I think it should be less than half the thickness but in can also be thinner.
So I correct it a little.
And reestablish a 45 degree cutting edge.
The side of cutting will determine if you need to turn your tool left or right to cut.
I like mine to go with the clock.
Then sharpening the blade.
Now I can craw the blade onto the saw I use, like this I can control the cut.
I draw it a little too small so I have space for adjustment and also the teeth’s will dig a little into the wood once they get pressure.
(Saw teeth’s not mine).
Now saw gently, especially in the front.
Kiss your loved once.
Use for the final cuts a saw that have app the same width as the blade you want to put in.
Test fit again and again.
This is how my workbench looked after.
But I also managed to get a decent fit.
Had one little mistake, but this could be corrected with sawdust and glue.
So this is how it looks after the blade has been pushed hard into the wood, with a block of wood and a hammer, so I am sure it will not go any deeper and that it will stay, but can be removed.
Notice I rounded the end of the iron, like this it will start gentle and not dig into the wood.
So from the old sketchbook, you can here see the profile we want.
As you can see I want a edge in front of the blade so sawdust will not get clogged up too fast.
This I make with a chisel and the wonderful little shoulder plane I once got from DIV in South Africa.
(Still miss him here and also our mails, whish that life is good to him and bring him smiles).
(Even the picture are bad).
I can always make it deeper, for now I like it.
So a hole for a handle.
The handle are from the last reamer beech and turned in a light taper, so it can come in and out of the reamer.
Now I burnish the edge a little, this will help it to cut.
If you are not familiar with this, then just leave it until you learn it.
Burnishing is what you do to your card scrapers.
First test run.
It works really fine.
Easy to feel it was good to use some harder wood, less wobbly and easier to control.
I live it.
So if I did not have the flu, I would have smoked the pipe, now I’ll just put one there for all you to enjoy.
So now I have the right size of reamer, I can make the final prototype for testing the cut.
Hope it can inspire others to make their own tools.
The best of my thoughts,
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.