Dead blow mallet
finally made me one!
I remember years back when I started out on this wood journey, I saw a picture of a DIY dead blow mallet and was really fascinated, bought a small pack of lead beads and put it on my once to do list… Years later now I found that pack of lead beads and decided I had to finally make it, not because I needed one, but because it was a dream back then and it made me kind of travel down memory lane to make it into reality.
Once I looked into it again I realized it looked like a lot of people had misunderstood that idea, they made the hollow inside and filled it completely with weight, in this way they get a heavy mallet, but not a dead blow mallet.
At least I can see and feel that it is working the way I made it now.
So lets get into it, a project I am sure many of you have seen before, I have tried to make a really easy to follow blog, so it will be easy to make one for all. ;-)
Recycle when possible, here some wonderful ash floorboard cut offs from my shop floor.
I think that’s wonderful to be able to get a piece of the shop floor to become a useful tool.
Just cut then to a size you like for the head, I did not measure, just what made me happy.
Make three pieces, the two for the head same width and one in same thickness for the handle.
Then cut two holes through, just try to hit the middle.
Now the fence was set a little off, just a few degrees and it was cut in two.
Like this, could be a little less, but it’s fine.
So when you turn then, you have a V.
Now I ripped some wood, again no measure needed.
So here you see the idea, like a sandwich.
Also you see the pack of leads that have been in a drawer in the shop for only God knows how long.
Now the shoulders of the handle can be marked, just make it stick out the top a little.
Then cut off the sides for shoulders and make to straight cuts down the middle.
(Not like mine – the drunken sailor – not that it matters as long as you let the saw follow the grain).
Now I could glue the sides to the base in the width of the shoulders and fill up the holes app half with lead beads.
Then glue on top…
Clamp it together and sit down to wait for the glue to dry.
You are at this point allowed to go and grab a beer, play with your friends, kids or wife…
Or go and shape the handle.
Just the way you like it.
Make some wedges.
I like matching wood here, but contrasting can be sexy also.
A few beers later.
Cut it clean.
Glue on the shoulders (not your own) and also inside the head (not your own)...
Stick the handle in the head in the small hole.
Apply glue to wedges.
Bang them deep into the wood, until it is all closed up.
Break them off.
Saw and shave.
Round the edges a little or shape it even if you like.
To make it useful also for really delicate tasks, I added a leather pad to the one side.
Contact adhesive gives you 15 – 20 minutes for another beer…
And that’s it!
We got a dead blow mallet.
Dead simple, clean look.
Now lift it up.
And put it with the rest of your mallets.
From left to right: dead blow, classic Scandinavian, my own turning from a piece of firewood from my friend Michael, Korean in the back gift from my sister, plywood from my friend Jim in US and finally a old French mallet I brought home from Paris (the one from Madts is hanging with my hammers).
With this picture I say bye, bye and thank you all that have been and are a part of my LJ life for some years now.
Hope it can inspire others to make their own tools, thank you what ever wood magazine that published that dead blow mallet online back then.
The best of my thoughts,
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.