Ash bucket lid
wood over ashes…
I have stoves in both the home and the workshop.
As a old boy scout (35 years ago), I do have a great respect for the fire hazard of ashes, so I wanted ash buckets to keep the ash in for some days before it goes to the trash. Also I can be more lazy, just have to do it once in a while. Smiles.
After making the bucket with Mike (Stefang), I thought I needed to make a matching lid for the metal bucket.
Decided to make it a hand tools only project, manly Japanese.
First step is to plane down some pine boards, recycle, the frame of a box mattress.
Glue them up and clamp them together, here I use Japanese Hatakane clamps, I kind of like this type.
(You can learn more of the process in my Japanese toolbox blog).
Once the glue is dry, it’s time for some planning, I never get tired of this, to see the woods inner nature come out.
No rocket science here.
Bucket science, just draw the size on the wood!
I just restored a wonderful old Danish frame saw, so I would do the sawing with this.
Looks so easy!
Looking closely at my work…
Not as easy as it looks.
Looking like a drunk man on his way home, guess I need a load of practise on this.
Clamping the wood like this made it quite a lot more easy.
And we got it cut out.
But this is really not a finish – ay?
So I run some strokes with a hand plane, fast and easy.
Just be careful to read the grain.
Before and after.
Next step is to cut the recess that will make the lid fit in the bucket.
I made a cutting gauge for this: http://lumberjocks.com/mafe/blog/33668
And then it was just to cut…
That day I had to go to the public laundry, since we were living in the work shop for a while.
So I brought the needed tools in a sock and used the waiting time, doing the cutting.
Clean clothes and a happy MaFe.
Back in the work shop I cut a hole in the centre, added a leather string and shaped the lid a little, this just for design, to give at shape and make the edge look thin and crisp.
Left the surface a little rough to make it suit the other bucket.
The leather string just got a knot on the back side.
The happy couple.
I’m really happy, this looks cosy.
For my home I also made some lids of plywood, these just two cut out circles glued together.
Actually these were made for woman’s hygiene in the bathrooms.
But one was used for a little bucket with fire starters.
But I do prefer the solid wood.
But they are a nice match, here in my home.
On the floor is a sour dove bread in process, I will make a write up soon on this as promised.
Perhaps it can inspire to go cover ashes with wood.
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.