Scandinavian workbench restore
Bringing the workbench back to life.
In this part I will show how I restored and brought the old tired workbench back to life.
This was how it looked when I brought it home in the garage, it was tired and had been used outdoor for a while as a table for painting and so, I almost felt sad when I saw this bench and actually for a moment had doubt if it was worth restoring, but since I paid 50 US dollar for it I thought it was worth the effort.
(Usually these full size cabinetmaker work benches are sold at prices between 200 – 400 US dollars for a fully working old sample here in Denmark, and a new one is between 1700 – 2600 US dollars).
First step is to pick up some tools, and yes a cold beer.
The top is cleaned up for old paint and tar.
The snacks are for the beer.
After fighting with my Stanley no 7 I decided it was to whimsy – yes you read it right, simply too little mass to flatten a bench top after my taste. So it was time for my good old jointer to get back in action.
Large and heavy as hell!
After some serious planing and plenty of sweat it was time for the smoother to run some passes and another cold beer.
The top is now flat and ugly as hell…
A look down under.
Some wear and some loose parts, but nothing that glue and screws can’t solve.
Glue the dovetail joints.
The tool tray is fastened again.
Since the top was so dead in the wood and left with deep penetrations of paint I decided to color it with some wood stain, the choice is dark chestnut.
I think you must agree it was needed.
Then some serious layers of oil, the wood soaks it like a drunken sailor.
The stretchers are dyed too.
As you can see one of them has been broken and then replaced with a bolt for tightening, I want to keep this as a part of this work bench history.
Garage is transformed into a temporary work shop.
Legs are getting the same tour and this makes the beech top and the pine legs blend better also.
I make a piece of pine for a bottom between the stretches so I can use the base for storage, I will guess the weight is around 450 pounds so it is rock solid as it is.
And so here we are!
The bench is ready to be brought to the new workshop and the rest of the restore will be made there once my tools are up and running.
End of this part of the blog, in next part I will tell about the holdfasts and some grip for the endvise.
Hope it can be to some inspiration.
-- Mad F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.