Here we are part two of the build.
Last blog we made the basic box parts, now it’s time for handles, drawer and another little challenge.
This was where we left last blog, the basic box.
Ok a piece of wood same as the box for the handles.
And some spacers also.
(This time cutting on a German saw).
Gluing spacers to the back of the handles.
Clamps, clamps and clamps…
Gluing the batterns to the lid and spacers to the handles.
Top and end for the drawer box inside is cut to size.
Time for another drawing.
I looked at the cabinet maker video and made a drawing for the drawer that follows this approach.
As you can see now, the drawer ‘box’ is inside the box.
And parts are cut for the drawer.
First I cut a little drawer lock.
But after discovering a wonderful dark knot in the drawer front I got inspired while drilling it out.
To make an all wood drawer lock.
An extra challenge, jubiiiii.
Back to the drawing board.
Sketching different types and choosing as always the most simple – less IS more.
Here my final drawing of the lock, I actually made this after making the lock, since I build as I meet the troubles.
But I think it gives a good picture here before we go on.
Parts for the lock – more to come.
Harder wood, this is a gift from my friend Div (who is silent these days).
In this way there are also some love and personality build in, thank you Div
Do you get the picture?
Making the lock cam move.
Fitting the lock cam after mounting the arm / handle.
More parts, now a kind of washer.
More clean out for the final fit.
And some grease from the grease box to make the lock run smooth.
Here we are!
All the lock parts.
Do not worry it will make sense soon.
In goes the lock cam.
Then the arm / handle.
Notice the little hole I added.
Spacers for a smooth ride.
And a mini wedge with a small notch.
So it locks it all together elegantly.
The rest is just to cut the arm to length.
Marking for the mortise for the lock in the part over the drawer.
This looks like a lock to me.
Now the handles can be glued on to the end pieces.
So time for some Japanese cabinet making after this little drawer lock game.
Marking and cutting the rabbet for the drawer front.
Marking the thickness of the drawer bottom.
The cutting gauge works fine for this task, but I will need to make me one in Japanese style one day.
I saw down through the grain to avoid tear out.
And then cut with a chisel.
Along the grain I can use the gauge and a chisel, no need for sawing.
(Notice I use my restored Japanese chisels, this is a joy).
And so we have the front ready.
Here you can see the work place in my living room with the Japanese planing board, but I will get back to this later.
I will split the blog here and continue soon.
Hope this blog can bring some inspiration to others that play with Japanese tools and work methods.
I want to send a special warm thought to Toshio Odate, thank you for inspire ring me with your book, but most of all my sister who offered me my Japanese chisels and a Kanna that was the reason why this interest started.
-- Mad F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.