for water stones the pond.
This is part two of the Japanese sharpening station blog.
Today no ‘funny’ comments…
Sometime ago I brought home a pallet, pine, it was as good as new.
I cut it up into short boards thinking I could use it for small boxes or so one day.
Now was the day for some of that wood to meet its second life.
First the boards were flattened, and the clamped together and planned to make them the same height.
(The drawing in the back is still not for this blog).
A wonderful pile of shaves and a pipe of nice tobacco later.
Time for making a layout, I design as I go on this one, something with tenons that go through and are held together with wedges, simple, strong collapsible and Japanese inspired.
It was also on this day my wonderful Stanley 48 arrived, so the smile is big in the little workshop.
Saw the tenon.
First a cut with a knife in the line, and then cut on the waste side.
As you see I leave a wee bit. (Love that word Jamie).
And then pare it after, this part I love more and more.
(I hated that before I learned to sharpen a chisel to a razor edge).
Freehand chamfer a little so the edges will not brake later and to enhance the Asian look.
Now I can mark up for the mortise.
With a marking knife (I know a few LJ’s that have one now, the one I use here is Korean).
As close to the tenon as possible.
My cutting gauge is used to make some deep cuts into the soft pine.
Then the ends are freehanded.
(I cut too long on purpose since I want that handmade look to it).
Since I am lazy and have a limited strength due to my health I drill a series of holes so I need to chisel less out.
And after a little chiseling the mortise and tenon is fitted.
I use Japanese chisels for chopping and English for the paring.
Now we have a box!
The top of the inside in the box is chamfered again to make the water stay in the right place.
To hold the stone bases in the box I mount some hardwood pieces in each end, this to keep the water away from the pine, and hardwood because it withstands the water better.
(This is by the way the arms of an old wood parasol, more recycle).
With the little wonderful Record 43 plane I make a groove in the two sides of the box. I can’t help loving this plane, it is so easy and so fast.
When I went out with the trash someone had put an old coffee tray for trash so I changed my original plan that was some boards in the bottom and cut the tray up to fit and then made an angled cut in the sides to fit the grooves.
Here we are after a little sanding.
The tray will give ventilation for the box so it will not rot.
To try something new I cut a round hole for the wedges.
And then use round stock for wedges also.
(The round stock is from an old baby bed that was trashed – yes it is the truth).
I fasten the hardwood with brass screws, even this is not especially Asian style… But I know they will stand the water and it does look kind of elegant with the hardwood so I am pleased.
On the back of the hardwood you can see there are made a number of cross cuts, this again for the water to be able to run away and not get trapped.
(Yes I’m an architect – laugh.).
So here we have a sharpening station.
I also made a little Japanese style hammer for the wedges.
And the second reason for the size is this – the stone bases fit inside.
Ok I spoke a lot about water…
First my plan was a plastic tray inside, but when the box had become so elegant I thought it would not be possible.
So I went off to our local metal junk yard and paid two dollar for some pieces of Rhein-zink.
(It took me more than an hour in the junk piles to find these, usually there are tons of this, but of course on that day it was all gone for melting, but I managed at the end and could add more recycle to my project).
So careful marking with a scriber.
From one side I cut into the corner and in the other side I leave a little piece.
Since I have no bending machine, I need to be a little creative.
And with a hammer I can make the bend quite sharp.
For the sides I cut a piece of wood to fit inside and clamp another on top, in this way it becomes possible.
The corners are bended in with a hammer on a piece of wood.
Test fitting the pond – it fits!
Since I have no soldering iron I use a torch on lowest blow and this works ok even it is difficult not to overheat.
So not the most beautiful soldering, but I think it holds water.
The big test!
Not a drop comes out, so I can sit back and relax over some good tobacco in my pipe (I never inhale by the way).
Sesam Sesam open up.
The pond in place so now water will stay inside.
A ceramic tray and a sharpening stone…
The stone was just for beauty and hopefully for you to smile.
Three stones can soak in this and the water will be esy to change.
I think it all starts to make sense, and I feel a harmony.
No still something is missing!!!
Yes now I am happy!
And with this picture the blog ends, and hopefully I will get sharp irons for many years to come.
Thank you for watching.
Hope this blog and this blog series can inspire others to look into the wonders of the Japanese tools and way of thinking,
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.