Old English screwdrivers
Restore and more…
This is part two of the blog.
So last time we finished with a new handle, this is another one I made and that we will get back to.
Next part is to make the sides flat if wanted, I want to stick to the original layout so I will…
I do this freehand on the table saw.
(Perhaps not the safety manual way to do it, but I feel safe).
Ohh yes, I have not been completely offline lately, I made this pile while the late was spinning…
(More blogs might follow as the tools get life).
To hit the center I made a cup for the back end, and then use a drill on the lathe.
(This can be done many ways).
The two parts.
Ohh and I also choose to destroy this plastic devil.
And look what came up on E-bayby for 8 British Pounds, they used to belong to a watchmaker and they have the most wonderful clicks… (I know I need help).
Look at the scale of these!
So back to the story.
A bunch of sanded and cleaned but really dry handles.
As you can see the old wear has grown into the wood, and since the contrast here against the bright wood makes it look sick I choose to play with dye.
Fist a warm with a little red tone.
Then a darker dusty.
This is where we can get creative, but also where we can go over the top so stay gentle.
Then I dip them all in ?
Yes you guessed it right linseed oil.
And put them in a bag over night because they could not all be in the pot.
Next day polish on a cloth wheel.
Then a shine.
And this is where the screwdriver from yesterday that looked sick is now.
Not bad I think…
The one over still need the polish.
I finish the handles of with a coat of wonderful wax.
And look at this before you pass on to the next picture!
This is why I broke the plastic handle…
I had made a nice warm little wooden mushroom for it.
And with a little epoxy and a bang this is what became of it.
Here an old nail lifter that got a new handle at the same time.
(Do not ask me how that came here in my screwdriver blog).
One of the watchmakers was really tired in the wood and I could see that it used to be red, so a little China red and a few layers of lacquer and it was full of life again.
The red lady.
Here is what happened to that second handle.
I had an old extender for bits, this one was glued in a handle that would match my old English.
And the one we followed get a new handle.
I think that is worth the few bucks I paid.
And I shaped the heads different so I now have a head for every screw I will find.
And the screwdriver family gathered.
Also some once from my old post http://lumberjocks.com/projects/45189 .
I mount a handful of the most used in a holder over my head on the workbench, in this way they are just where I need them.
And this is where the blog ends.
In the background some recycle wood and on the piece of paper the project I work on these days, but all this is for another blog another day…
Here are the little wonderful screwdriver I use for my planes.
And here what it’s used for.
It is my hope this blog can inspire others to restore some old beautiful screwdrivers.
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.