Making a new deep stop
Actually more metal than wood, and no rocket science.
This post is about an upgrade of a low quality drill press, and I post it since someone here on LJ asked me what it was he saw on my drill press, and I can remember who asked… so here is the answer out in the open.
This is what it is, a deep stop.
This is the old one in red plastic.
Why change it?
Because the plastic was so soft that it was really not stopping as it was supposed to.
(you get what you pay for…).
I got a metal plate from an old friend, 10 mm thick.
Drilled two holes in it with a metal cutter and plenty of cutting oil.
Clean up the inside.
Ring will now fit the moving ‘arm’.
Next step is to cut a slice in the big ring.
The inside I cut out will be a part of the final stop.
Also now I add a bolt.
The two rings are sanded flat where they meet, and I hold them in place with nails.
And then weld them together.
With some steel wire I hold the bolt and nut in place to be welded.
The nut on the right is bored out so the bolt can run free inside.
This is what I end up with.
After some sanding of my terrible welding…
And here with the bolt in place.
The chunk goes of the drill press and the stop is test mounted.
Now I thread the hole.
Sand of the end of a threaded rod.
The stop is put together.
Two nuts on the rod make a fixed stop.
This is how it looks when it comes down.
I’m not sure this will be interesting to a lot, but now it’s posted, and my answer is given.
You can see, my original drill press table post here.
Hope it can be to some inspiration,
Best of thoughts,
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.