Mike & Mads cutting gauge (blog)
A gift to a wonderful friend.
This is the second part, so for you who step in here, please go back to the beginning:
So off we go – part to!
Are you ready Mike?
Here is the updated sketch book drawing, so you remember where we were, and where we are going (it’s not always possible for me to do just that).
Figuring out where the rod for the knurled bolt shall be.
I choose a little up front, since you would have a nice grip on the gauge head, and also plenty of material for strengths.
Then marking it, also on the bar. (And not in the bar…).
Finding the router bit needed. I used a 6mm straight cut.
(Another wine box).
Now the real stuff.
Using the stop, and going both directions.
Both I said…
The first one went really smooth.
And then it went all wrong in the second go, it was probably Mike making trouble, or perhaps me not respecting the tool, so I should have made the cuts deeper and deeper, and not just in one… Laziness is not for free… And like this I broke two bits… Learning by doing I guess.
So I decided to do the second gauge by hand (then I did not need to go and buy new bits for now).
Here drilling the hole for the saw.
Now time to saw ahead, I used my jewelers saw.
File and sand to fit.
Now I glue in the threaded rods in the ends, as always with epoxy.
And marking for the rod that must go in the head of the gauge.
And making a guide hole with the awl.
Drilling the hole for the rod, not all the way through.
Threading the gauge head with a tap.
And action! (perhaps a little long but this we can deal with).
A washer and then the knob, knurled thing or whatever it is called, then a mark for the lengths.
I was first thinking to use the two coins in the left of the picture for washers, but decided only the best was good enough for Mike, so I used some brass washers.
SO – quite naughty yes, I think so!
M&M in the young years, this is going in a good direction.
Make sure they come in straight.
And one step closer.
All this happened during several days while I was working on the bucket, not just in a glimpse as it looks.
Now marking center for the blade holder bolt.
And for the security brass rod that I will put all the way through the threaded bolt, so it will never be able to work its way out. Yes this little detail is not just fancy Mike it has a purpose.
Now the square brass pieces are glued in place, so I can work more on them later.
Yes you guessed right – epoxy… and again the fast one.
And a little wedge to hold it in place.
Drilling for the ‘hold’ rod, so deep that it goes through the threaded rod, and secure this.
Put glue in the hole, it can help to heat up the epoxy, but only if you use the slow version, the 90 sec. will dry before you know it.
Notice the rough finish on the gauge heads.
Making a test thread with my brand new tap holder, a wonderful little tool, but the little size makes you also more easy go off center (all have a price)...
Drilling for the thread in the blade holder, I should have done this in the drill press since they did not become all straight free hand, but this is what we call charm when handmade.
Mike you are allowed to call me lazy, but only you!
The truth is the switch on my drill press died, so I had to.
Making the thread.
And an extra hole for details.
Now some extra gluing, since the wood cracked when I made this detail drilling…
Yes I should have stayed to the plan, I should have mounted some wood on the sides while drilling and so, but I am so human… And the epoxy is stronger than the wood so no worrying Mike.
Here we are at last. We have a tool.
Now the top goes of the rod.
So here they are ready to use, Mike & Mads on the wild.
Here the details, and how the blade comes out, and you can see the purpose of the detail hole in the end of the bar.
I think this is a quite cool solution I came up with; ok I’m big headed now sorry, just became happy for a second there, I do get carried away.
But we will not stop there!
Time for some make over, the beauty and the beast…
It is on purpose I did not flatten the bed of the gauge head rabbet since I wanted there to be friction for a tight hold.
Raw linseed oil, compound, bees wax, polish, Carnauba wax, bees wax – the big MaFe tour.
And my makes mark the heart are beaten in.
What deepness in that wood!
Now one more detail.
I made the gauge so it could be used in the back end with a pencil or an awl in the hole also, in this way the gauge is actually a three in one.
To complete this I wanted to make some fine little awls, special for the gauges.
They were made of HSS steel drill bits; that I sanded while spinning so they became pointed.
Then cut a piece of wood for handles. (The same as for the gauge).
Up on the lathe (This was the day Napoleon came and made his little brass mallet).
I cut of the drill bit with a Dremmel tool and glue with: …..
This is it! A miniature awl for the gauge.
And this is how it all ended up.
I made also a little dedicated box of recycle materials for Mikes gauge, filled it up with shavings that I did on the bucket project, and wrote him a letter, and off to Norway it went.
(Yes I was a little nervous when I went to the post office, imagine it was lost in the mail, but it arrived, and this is why I blog it now, the Mike & Mads cutting gauge has reached its final home, and the twin is hanging on my workshop wall).
Here a little clip from a letter to him:
‘Dear Mike you have brought me plenty of wonderful smiles, precious moments and even a wooden bucket made by my own hands.
It is a token of our friendship for now, my thank you for the bucket tour and my respect for you as the person and a father you are. Keep doing your best, this is what I respect and like about you’.
And after a how the little box was done: Soon.
Hope this blog can be to some inspiration, for me it is was so much a pleasure to make these Mike & Mads cutting gauges,
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.