while I wait for the willow tree!
I had all of a sudden become in front of the timeline, have no idea how…
So I had time to make a lid for the bucket.
I had made an extra set of boards like the bottom, so these were the start point.
This is what it became.
A Japanese inspired lid, in one of my favorite colors, Japanese red.
First I cut it in size, and made cut for the handle bars.
Then a tour on the router, as you can see I made a primitive circle jig of a piece of plywood and a nail.
(I made a terrible job full of blow out…).
Here we are.
Now marking the thickness I want the lid to have visually.
And a quick look at the back side.
So time to plane down thickness, I keep it full thickness on the center, so it gets rounded.
Here a use my Stanley No. 2, and enjoy it full time.
Here you can see the rounding coming on.
At the end I leave the surface raw, as a contrast.
All these were in action, most of all to enjoy them…
(The little shoulder plane is a gift from our friend DIV, thank you!).
I glue the lit together, even I don’t know if this is allowed from my great master Mike.
Then color the wood with IPE stain (forgot to take a picture).
Use tissue to paint, since I want it raw, as a contrast to the bucket.
Drill a hole in the center and carve a little knob.
This knob I fastened with the wood nail and glue.
For the red; rouge de Chine.
And this is the result.
I must say I’m happy.
The raw contrast, and the wooden nail.
Hand carved knob.
Now I wait for our dear Mike for the travel in the bucket tour, to get to the binding part!
Hope it could bring some inspiration, or guidance!
-- Mad F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.