Torpedo level restore
I have this beautiful torpedo level – ‘but it was out of level’...
Here it is – quite nice yes! It will be a perfect match in my tool box with the old school tools.
Opening it up.
Carefully digging out the level glass, I used a dentist tool.
It seemed to be set in a kind of plaster of Paris!
(I thought it was putty that was used, since I seemed to remember the smell from I was young).
And found some new screws for it.
Here a close up, where you can see it set in the old ‘stuff’.
There is a brass fitting in the button that allows you to adjust after its set.
Brand and new screws.
Notice I had to bore out the old since they had rusted.
Old ‘set stuff’, I think it’s too white to be putty, but perhaps the English putty are more white.
But I had a confirmation that it was putty we use for this.
Filling some new putty into each end, level are cleaned – ohhh yes, and having and espresso, while checking for new input on LJ.
Checking for level, and setting it in the putty.
I gave it a little extra on top, to secure it.
The level became fine, except the marking on the level from birth is a little of.
Since the putty will not be visual after, there is no reason for beauty.
Now the same tour with the little fellow for vertical level.
And here set, notice the new brass screws – dandy yes.
And finally some wax, and we are all ready to go!
(The dry up time for putty are up to two weeks).
Hope someone can bring some old levels back to life,
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.