When your garden are app. 6×4 meters, a greenhouse can be a challange…
So I had put this idea away – untill one day I drove my car, and some one had put on the street some old windows for trash. The windows were put on the back seat, and then in my little garden, so I could think.
Some thoughts later (weeks acually), I was ready to sketch, and the idea of a greentower was born.
And yes, the idea only…, so now it was time to buy some wood, cut it up in the sizes needed, and figure out a way to put the thing together.
I used my Festool CMS with the Panther blade, for the cutting of the long cuts, and found it cutting like a good knife in warm butter, so it was done fast (previous I have used a 42 tooth blade, and this was not the thing for the job), so one lesson learned so fare.
Wood and windows ready (notise that during the project, my workshop also slowly change, it takes form, as I find out what and where it’s needed).
My new (old) planes arrived, so I used ofcourse these to plan the wod at the end, and I completelt fell in love with the old Stanley no 3, and the little 60,5 degree blockplane also, can see now, that these two are going to be some close friends.
Cutting into lenght and in angel are like nothing on my new MFT3 table (Festool), once the table was setup, it was a pleasure, to be able to always cut straight and precise cuts.
Test fitting, all seems to be fine, so I belive my idea seems to work.
Essembly can begin:
I choose to just screw it together with ‘hidden’ screws, and fill the wholes with ‘plastic wood’.
The idea is that there are a gap, where I can put in a ‘shelf’ after in the buttom, so the buttom will be easy to replace, and to clean.
Skelletton are up, and the tower starts to come to life.
Checking the fit of the windows, I choose to put them on the frames, and not in the frames, since I will like the tower to stay in the old patina, and look like it has been used for many years when it’s done.
And also I wish that it shall look as slim as possible.
Drawing the roof:
This was a real pleasure, for years I have been using Autocad to do things like this, but in my retro mood, I desided to draw, and construct the angels, so I had to find my old geometri skills, and dust them off. And I even tryed to give the drawing a little life, just for my own pleasure. This was ofcourse done with a good cup of espresso, and my favorite tobacco in the old pipe.
Time to cut some plywood:
Since my workshop are so small, I desided to set up a little cutting ‘station’ in the hallway, this was fine, and because of the shop wac, there were almost no cleanup after.
The roof has come together, the cuts were dead sharp, so I could just clamp it up on the table, and put it together with glue, and a nail gun.
The tracks in the wood dont serve any purpose, it was just the plywood that I had in the basement.
I covered the roof with shingles (I think it’s called), this gave it a ‘old’ look, and then gave it a good cover of bitumen with a brush, so it looked like ‘the good old days’.
The frame got some dark brown wood protection, the type that are sucking into the wood for protection, and leaves the wood visible.
I had originally choosen a different location in the garden, but realized this place will be optimal for sun.
Windows finally mounted (my daughter on the staircase);
So now it’s almost there, windows came in, two that can open, two are just screwed in place.
The one window will be the ‘door’ and will be for using the tower.
I decided to put in a stone base instad of ‘legs’ since it made it look more solid, and also I can use the heat from the stones for the plants at night.
A glass guy came by to fix my naighbours broken window, and he agreed to make me my two missing glasses for just 10 buck, so it was wonderful.
The other is for ventilation, and I fitted this window with a automatic opener, that opens up when the temperature gets to high.
Now I need to do some shelfs, the buttom, a little detail on the top, and find a solution for the automatic water system…
The seeds are made in the livingroom, so now the summer will be welcome here.
I’ll post again, when I start making the final details.
I added some loose shelfs, this allows me to remove single bords as the plats grows bigger.
So the tower are finally done, and little plants are growing bigger now in the cold Danish spring.
When the summer comes, I will let it be for tomatoes only.
I wish all a nice summer.
The best of thoughts,
-- MAD F, the fanatical rhykenologist and vintage architect. Democraticwoodworking.