LumberJocks

kitchen cabinets #21: Door construction

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by MC posted 03-16-2018 06:44 PM 475 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 20: I'm back and all kitchen drawers are in! Part 21 of kitchen cabinets series no next part

The three doors, and the only doors on the lower cabinets are finished and installed. I made a couple of errors and took some time to figure a few things out but I am now moving forward with the many doors up top!

The doors, like the face frame are 1” thick. With this dimension the standard 1/4” tongue and groove on the cope and stick bits seemed inadequate. The adjustable freud bits I have were easy to adjust for a perfect 5/16”. It did take a few tries but once there I had a perfect fit.

For the doors I have chosen to reinforce the cope and stick joint with an extended tenon and mortise. The directions to do this with the freud bits were straight forward but I did make one change. After cutting the cope the directions call for moving the fence back 1/2” at a time until you reach the desired tenon length. I was not confident that I could do this accurately with the fence I have on my router table. Instead I made a set of 1/2” and 1/8” shims. With the shims in place I set the fence they way you normally would for the cope cut. I then removed the top portion of the bit and removed the shims, first the 1/2” and then the 1/8”, to reach the final tenon length on the front side. For the back side I added the top of the bit back on and without moving the fence lowered the bit just shy of the final height. The final fit was cleaned up with a shoulder plane.

The mortise was cut using a 5/16”up spiral bit on the router table. I found this to be the most stable method for cutting the mortises and worked very well.

A haunch was cut on the tenon and the tenon was rounded to fit the routed mortise. The rounding of the tenon took more time then it should. For the upper doors I am using a 5/16 mortise chisel to square the mortise. This is actually a quicker method. However, with 28 more doors to build, it is all time consuming.

The door assembly line is now in progress. Starting to feel good as all this lumber is clearing out of my shop!



1 comment so far

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

1124 posts in 2372 days


#1 posted 03-17-2018 11:11 AM

Those will be some sturdy doors. Hopefully you can get the production going now that you have everything dialed in. I’m curious about the jig in your picture. Some details and pics would be great.

Oh – I also noticed the drink of choice in the first picture. It helps to have a little now and then to help with the frustrating parts, but only after you are done in the shop….

-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com